"Oh, no. It was coming up again, word vomit... no, wait a minute...Actual vomit."
Networking is a big part of any industry. Networking can get you your next client, or even your next job. How you behave at networking events can really make or break the impression others have on you. Here are a few tips that get you on the right side of that impression.
- Dress- As I have said before, your dress and how your present yourself visually makes a big impression. Be clean and presentable.
- Bring Plenty of Business Cards- It looks unprofessional if you do not have your business cards with you. If you run out or do not have any, be sure to get the other person's card and follow up with them within 48 hours of meeting.
- Stay Focused- You are there to make business deals, not take advantage of the open bar.
- Name Tag- Wear your name tag on your right side so when you go to shake someone's hand they can easily see your name.
- Drinks- Make sure you are holding your drink in your left hand. That way when someone goes to shake your hand, you are not fumbling around and even worse, giving them a gross wet hand.
- Drinks Again- Keep in mind you are at a work event. Nothing is less professional than being the drunk networker that everyone is talking about. I once had someone, a woman, ask me if I had ever been in a threesome...I'm not kidding...or ever doing work with her.